Pope Francis declared September 1 as the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation.
According to Pope Francis, “The annual World Day of prayer for the Care of Creation offers to individual believers and to the community a precious opportunity to renew our personal participation in this vocation as custodians of creation, raising to God our thanks for the marvellous works that He has entrusted to our care, invoking his help for the protection of creation and his mercy for the sins committed against the world in which we live.”
Here are suggested activities to encourage your networks to join the Pope in prayer for creation:
- Promote the Season of Creation Catholic link
- Share the Pope Video on Facebook and on Twitter
- Encourage your networks to host special prayer services on September 1st or anytime throughout the Season of Creation (which ends on October 4). And please aim to celebrate ecumenical services whenever possible, in the spirit of the Pope’s invitation. If you know of any prayer services already scheduled in your country, please register them so they get uploaded to the global map in the Season of Creation website (we aim to illustrate how Catholics and other Christians are participating by compiling a big amount of prayer services in the map).
In addition to encouraging communities to host prayer events, Global Catholic Climate Movement (GCCM) Philippines will also be inviting Catholic communities to take action for creation, participate in webinars on ecological spirituality and divestment, join our second divestment announcement, and advocate for the urgent ratification of the Paris Climate Agreement.
PRAY WITH POPE FRANCIS:
- JOIN THE “WORLD DAY OF PRAYER” FACEBOOK EVENT:Join Pope Francis in this special day and invite friends and family.
- FOR INDIVIDUALS: – Begin your day by praying with one of the prayers that Pope Francis composed for his Laudato Si’ encyclical: A Christian Prayer in Union with Creation or A Prayer for our Earth.
– Continue to pray throughout the day: could be a Guided Rosary on Caring for Creation, the Canticle of Creatures of St Francis, or any other creation care prayer.
– Attend a special service in your parish and/or ask the parish to celebrate the World Day of Prayer.
- FOR PARISHES, DIOCESES & COMMUNITIES:– Host an Eucharistic Adoration service: use this official prayer resource from the Vatican.
– Incorporate creation prayers during your daily mass: you could simply pray the Christian Prayer in Union with Creation and include special Prayers of the Faithful (check our Resources page).
– Host an ecumenical event, however big or small: Pope Francis invited ecumenical collaboration on September 1 so that “this World Day can become the sign of a path along all believers in Christ walk together.” You can utilize this Ecumenical Celebration guide from the Franciscans for Ecology, or this Ecumenical Celebration guide from the Columbans.
- FOR SMALL PRAYER GROUPS:Utilize this guided prayer resource developed by Fr. Terrence J. Moran.
- FOR EVERYONE:Complement your prayers with climate action. Sign the Catholic Climate Petition.