Sama-samang sakay, lakad, at layag para sa kalikasan
A nationally synchronized anti-mining action was conceptualized in 2015 and affirmed during the PMPI SOS Conference in Baguio City last January 26-28, 2017. The national activity hopes to integrate a planned anti-mining toxic tour in Mindanao and fluvial parade in Manicani and Homonhon and include other mining affected communities in Luzon. Originally, the main objective of the activity is to highlight mining-related issues and echo the call to establish small island ecosystems as no-go-zones for mining. The participants in the conference agreed that brin¬ging together mining affected communities from different parts of the country will
1) serve as a platform to raise national consciousness on mining issues which remain undiscussed in urban areas and more confined in mining affected or host communities;
2) bring the issue to the attention of the Executive and Legislative branch of government and create more favorable environment to support the current drift of DENR against so called destructive and “irresponsible” mining;
3) support the current moves of DENR to suspend and close erring mining companies and cancel their Mineral Production Sharing Agreements and deter moves of mining companies to overturn the DENR’s decision favoring mining affected communities.
The World Environment Day which is June 5 and with this year’s theme: “Connecting People to Nature – in the city and on the land, from the poles to the equator”, this concept will once and for all connect all communities across the country to the actual state of the environment. In addition, this also serves as a response to the call of Pope Francis’ Laudato Si’ “On Care for our Common Home” wherein he called all people around the world to take a “swift and unified global action” against environmental degradation and global warming.
The activity hopes to bring together mining-affected communities and other communities affected by severe environmental degradation and climate change in a unified voice to raise public awareness on their struggles against mining and development aggression. The national event aims also to achieve the following:
- Raise the level of national consciousness on the negative impacts of mining in affected communities;
- Highlight human rights violations committed in mining communities;
- Lobby for relevant policy reforms in the mining industry including declaring small island ecosystems and watersheds as no-go-zones for mining.
SALAKYAG KALIKASAN 2017 or “Sama-samang sakay, lakad, at layag para sa kalikasan” is a nationwide caravan which will commence in Zamboanga City on May 30, 2017 and will culminate in Metro Manila on June 5, 2017. A core group of travelers will start journey from Zamboanga City towards identified rally or salubong points until it reaches Metro Manila. The Core group is targeted to reach an average of 100 participants aboard 20 vehicles. Identified stop overs where Salubong Programs will be held; where local groups will be mobilized; and where the group will sleep-over include Dipolog City, Cagayan de Oro City, Surigao City, Palo (Leyte), Legazpi City, and Lucena City.