What is Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas?
The Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas (Council of the Laity of the Philippines, or Laiko) is a public association of the faithful erected by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) in order to “develop the consultation and collaboration of the lay faithful” (Bd. John Paul II, Apostolic Exhortation Christifideles laici on the Vocation and Mission of the Lay Faithful in the Church and in the World, n. 25).
We envision ourselves as a community of disciples centered on Christ, animated by the Holy Spirit and guided by Mary, our Mother and Model:
- where every Christian is an evangelized evangelizer
- where the family, as the domestic Church, serves as the foundation and agent of conversion, formation and renewal;
- where all, particularly the poor, shall be strengthened by a unifying compassion and empowered in a liberating justice;
- where we may, all as one body, build together a life integrated in our faith, founded on love, solidarity, righteousness and peace.
Blessed with God’s gift of wisdom and fortitude we commit ourselves:
- To promote a continuing formation program of the lay faithful towards a life of loving affirmation and faithful witnessing as individual, families and communities;
- To participate in the task of building ecclesial community and implementation of Acts & Decrees of the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines;
- To study & promote a more effective apostolate of the laity pursuant to the Second Vatican Council through coordination and integration of all forms of lay Catholic action & activities of all the lay apostolic movements, associations & organizations;
- To assist in the establishment of Diocesan Councils of the Laity and the coordination of their apostolic work and to nurture close relationship, communication and dialogue with all duly recognized local and international lay organizations.
- To undertake the development and formation of lay leaders who are ready to assume co-responsibility with the clergy and religious toward a renewed integral evangelization in the Catholic Church in the Philippines.