|Official Name||National Association of the Holy Name Society of the Philippines|
|Other Name or Acronym||HNS|
Our members perform the Corporal Works of Mercy: to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, give drink to the thirsty, shelter to the homeless, tend the sick, visit those in prison and bury the dead; as well as the Spiritual Works of Mercy: to convert sinners, instruct the ignorant council the wayward, comfort the sorrowing, bear adversity patiently, forgive offenses and pray for the living and the dead on a parochial, diocesan and national level.
The Holy Name Society (HNS) promotes the honor and glory of our Divine God and the personal sanctification of its members by acts of love and devotion to the most Holy Name of Jesus. The spirited life of its members is a perpetual act of reverence and love.
The Holy Name Society promotes respect for the most Holy Name of God, faith in the Catholic Church and the magisterium, loyalty to one’s country and respect for all lawful authority, both civil and religious.
|YEAR ACCREDITED W/ LAIKO||(N.B. not stated)|
In the year 1274 A.D., Pope Gregory X commissioned the Order of Preachers to preach devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus because the heresies of that time were denying the divinity of Christ. The Bull of Gregory X to the effect was NUPER IN CONCILIO, dated September 20, 1274.
The MASTER OF THE ORDER, at that time was JOHN GARBELLA, also called JOHN OF VERCELLI, from his town of origin. He led the Dominican Preachers in the propagation of this movement.
In 1571 Pope Clement VIII published the BULL “Quaecumque” where he decreed that the Confraternity may be established in Churches of the Dominicans but not in another Church in the same locality. FR. CHARLES MCKENNA, O.P., National Director of the HNS in the United States succeeded in having this restriction lifted in 1895. It remains true, however, that to establish the HNS in a Church not belonging to the Dominican Order one must obtain a CHARTER issued by the Order of Preachers.
It is to be presumed, therefore, that the Holy Name Society was widespread in Europe in the years after the Dominicans accepted the “mandate” of the Popes who have enriched the Confraternity with many Indulgences.
The preaching of reverence for the Holy Name of Jesus came to America in 1626, when Fra ANTONIO DE MONTESINOS and companions came to FLORIDA. In the 1800’s the Society began to spread in the USA. The Dominican priest generally credited with being the Apostle of the Holy Name was FR. CHARLES MCKENNA, O.P. He was stationed at St. Vincent Ferrer Church at Manhattan, New York (now Seat of the Province of St. Joseph). He traveled the length and breadth of the Eastern USA promoting the Confraternity. One of his accomplishments was the birth of the idea of having several parishes with the HNS group together into a DIOCESAN UNION. The first such HNS Union was established in the Archdiocese of New York. Fr. Mckenna died in 1917. He was succeeded as National Director by Fr. John McNicholas, O.P.
The Holy Name Society is 724 years old. (1274-1998) it is considered the oldest Confraternity of the Church. And most richly indulgenced. And so inspite of all difficulties and specially the competitions with man’s modern movements and associations, there is that well founded conviction that it will live on and flourish.
The HNS in the Philippines
In the Philippines the early Dominicans must have established the Confraternity of the Holy Name in their churches. It is written in some old documents “that the students of Letran in Intramuros joined the Confraternity of the Holy Name to foster their spiritual lives.”
However, the establishment of the HNS in the Philippines, the way it was organized in USA is attributed to Fr. Silvestre Sancho who studied in USA. He established the first such HNS group at the University of Sto. Tomas, Manila on November 13, 1930.
There are 652 Local Confraternities duly established throughout the country.
The HNS National Directorate is intensifying the campaign to establish more Parish Fraternities in the seven (7) most “fertile” Ecclesiastical Provinces of :
|Affiliations||Sangguniang Laiko ng Pilipinas –CBCP|
|Official Contact Address||National Association of the Holy Name Society of the Philippines
Sto. Domingo Convent
537 Quezon Avenue
|Official Contact Numbers||Telefax: + 63.2. 743.7757|
|Current Officers||May 2008- Present
National President: Bro. Manny Aguilar
Executive Vice-President: Bro. Laureano B. Culala, Jr.
Executive Secretary: Bro. Apolinario Carandang
Assistant Secretary: Bro. Rene Sta. Ana
Treasurer: Bro. Hector Libunao
Auditor: Bro. Peter Clorina
Press Relations Officer: Bro. Narcisco Salas, Jr.
Regional Vice Presidents:
Northern Luzon: Bro. Hector Libunao
Central Luzon: Bro. Rex Villanueva
Mindanao: Bro. Jesus Corpus
Visayas: Bro. Laureano Culala, Jr.
Board of Consultors (Former National Presidents)
National Spiritual Director / Promoter Fr. Reynaldo J. Adalid, OP